![]() |
| http://johndotegowski.deviantart.com/art/Beholder-rework-163909930 |
- The stony floor has patches of swamp here and there, giving treacherous footing. Here and there, blasts of fire erupt from them.
- The ceiling is lost in thunderous storm clouds, threatening to unleash a torrent upon you.
- Nearby, the feast table. Those sitting around it are not dead, but wraith-like versions of all of you. They have white-hot eyes that smoke with rage, but they do not rise from their seats... yet.
- The pillars and the large ring. This time, the letters on the pillar are blurry and indistinct and nearly unreadable.
- A familiar treasure chest at your feet, with the three-digit combination-lock.
- A nearby wall reads, "Use a proper key," with a key-hole and three buttons beneath it.
- An altar upon which rests a single lit candle (which burns stronger than it should be), and a wooden bowl with copper coins.
- Two enormous, faceless statues of robed humans loom over you, nearly 50 feet tall. When you see them, two words comes instantly to your mind - The Dominion. Where their faces should be are, one is flat and is carved in a bas-relief two angels who recoil in horror at something between them, but that space between is blank and shimmers slightly. If you have any command over magic, you sense an aura of illusion there. The second statue's face is a large iron, barbed gate upon which many corpses are impaled.
- Strewn about you are large chunks of statue, potentially a third like the two that stand before you, now nothing but destroyed rubble.
A deep rumbling laughter is heard from somewhere in the clouds above, echoing all about this bizarre chamber. Then it emerges, a massive beholder the size of a small moon!
Fortune shines on you though, it seems. All of your wounds are healed. Any debilitiations you had are gone. Except for Sorne it seems, who falls to the floor, wracked with pain. He seems to be transforming?
OOC: This is the final encounter and will finish up the game. Distance and location in this chamber has less meaning than in the normal world, given a beholder the size of a Death Star is somehow descending on you in this chamber.. Thank you for sticking with me. Good luck!
Haargarth - I have an email coming to you to explain what happens to you prior to coming here... will try to get it to you by Sunday. Also, some loose ends from the previous post - just plain out of time at the moment, will address... gotta run!

Haargarth shakes his fist at the heavens as the ultimate battle is at hand. With the final thrust of his fist, each of his four left fingers (and thumb) comes flying off, expanding into clones of the warrior! The only difference between these freshly summoned demon surged clones of Haargarth and the original is the glowing runes on each of their foreheads. They immediately fall into a circle around the treasure chest, inspecting it for clues.
ReplyDeleteMeanwhile, the original Haargarth pulls a mithril key from his belt, and dashes to the nearby wall. Might as well insert it and see what happens! What do the buttons underneath look like?
Also, because, why not, WHAT DOES HAARGARTH KNOW OF THE DOMINION?
[Tech]
Totally willing to spout some lore here. Maybe we can use them to our advantage.
Someone get on those wraith-us' . They look hungry, and if a massibe death star sized beholder is coming down from the sky above us, we should get them to feast on that, not us....
[AzuL Khadon]
ReplyDeleteThe Mother Unwilling clutches her staff in obstinance, ready to face the impregnable villains before her! The Khamsa will protect her, and she feels hunger swelling within her chest. Can Ravana be gaining power in this place...?
Her perspective, honed through experiences nonhuman, drinks in every detail. The looming Death sphere, the luncheon of spirits...
[Tech]
Discerning realities here! I know it looks shady, but I swear I rolled a perfect 12 for a result of 14. If you would like to reroll, Joe, I totally get it.
[Tech]
3 Questions:
What is useful or valuable to me?
What here is not what it appears to be?
What should I be on the lookout for?
OOC: I purposely didn't post in the past week to give players time to post, and to catch up on work matters. Next week my posts should come more frequently. Anyone who hasn't posted this week and does not post next week dies.
ReplyDelete[Haargarth]
Haargarth's clones sense something very important inside the chest, but what's the 3 digit combination to the lock? It could be trapped, none of them are certain. However, bashing it in could also be an option... It's not THAT sturdy after all.
The real Haargarth takes the key and approaches the button/keyhole puzzle. This time the words of the buttons are "Power", "Knowledge", "Wealth". Inserting the key and turning it, the buttons begin to glow a deep blue!
While he contemplates which button to push, if any, he remembers that the Dominion are the unseen rulers of the underground city you are trying to save (Covenant). They were the initial three that foresaw the destruction of the world above and saved the few remnants that would come with them. They formed Covenant and are the holders of the ritual of the Purge. However, nobody has ever seen them face-to-face. They always work through a few intermediaries, such as the one who gave you your Voight-Kampff test prior to arriving here.
[Azul]
OOC: I trust you completely on your roll!
What is useful or valuable to me?
Each of the small side areas has a treasure that will help you against Goldeneye. Goldeneye will attempt to END you, so staying alive just a bit longer is a good thing. The barbed gate in the face of statue #1 is the goal you've been seeking, to commit suicide upon it. However...
What here is not what it appears to be?
You see through the illusion magic over the face of statue #2, and see that it is covering an oval teleportation portal. Through it you see a chamber of some kind, but it's 50' above you... so you will need to get closer to really see what that chamber is about.
What should I be on the lookout for?
Items to buy you time against Goldeneye's beholder death (and more) rays.
A way to get closer to those statue faces.
Seek the truth.
Given the choice, Haargarth chooses power and presses the glowing button. As for the locked chest, let's circle back to it when the time comes.
ReplyDelete[Azul Khadon]
ReplyDeleteThe Druid drinks in the information around her and, in spite of the conflicting gravity of the enormous mass' of both the planet and Golden Eye, strikes the ground once more with her staff and the Khamsa activates...the Desert Lark of Dawn Yet to Come darts to and fro, losing itself in the dawn of Golden Eyes radiance, making a jagged, evasive line for the mysterious Statue #2' facial facade!
[Tech]
Shapeshift: 2d6+2=4! On a miss Hold 1 in addition to whatever the GM says!
[Ooc]
I really hope we dont have to do this alone, Deuce!
Z, we got zee clones. We'll be fine.
DeleteAttack of the Clones is always a disaster.
Delete[Vulture]
ReplyDeleteGaining his composure amongst the massive sphere in the sky, the nimble assassin darts over to the chest. "Out of the way, neanderthals!" shoving a few of the clones out of the way. "I'm sure this chest is rigged somehow."
[Tech]
Trap expert:
Roll: 9 (Hold 1)
Is there a trap here, and if so, what activates it?
OOC: Today was going to be my day to post and I think my external HD just crashed... where I store all my rpg pdfs and materials... ugh. This might be a bad day.
ReplyDelete[OOC]
DeleteI feel your pain, I just recently lost my flashdrive with all of mine.
DOOOOOMMM!!!!
DeleteMeliandre looks around in confusion at the sudden transport, then frowns and tries to get her bearings.
ReplyDelete[Tech]
Melliandre is going to examine the feast table, though from a bit of a distance.
Discern Realities, +0, I don't have dice with me at the moment.
Did Sapphire Heart come with us, and is their a wraith of her at the table, out of curiosity?
[OOC]
Sorry I took so long, decision paralysis and my depression's been acting up bad.
OOC: I think I'm going to stop making any promises on posting. Whenever I do, I break them! Not cool. One the good side, I'm getting past my hard drive failure, and was able to reconstruct my financial documents and stuff, so that's where my time went this week. Lost all my gaming pdfs, but meh, they were mostly stuff I'd never use anyway. Assuming nothing cataclysmic happens, my desire is to post more next week. Thank you, players, for your patience.
ReplyDeleteIf you notice that I seem to post every week at this time, it's one of the few downtime breaks I have. My daughter has an acting class, so it's perfect posting time for me.
[Haargarth]
When Haargarth presses the strength button, his body becomes immensely muscular and he triples in height! In true HULK style, his armor breaks apart as his body grows, magical quickening energies rippling over his new frame as his flesh absorbs the power of strength. While all his equipment stays the normal size, ONE item does grow with him... his signature flail. Somehow, in the connection, it increases in size with him!
The buttons now glow RED, and pulse slightly.
OOC: You now have the strength of a CLOUD GIANT (20/+4). However, your armor is now shreds and your shield is a like puny plate in your huge hands (Armor = 0). Haargarth's clones are unaffected, looking like puny versions of his former self.
[Azul Khadon]
Azul in flight races up towards the statue, her wings bearing her at full speed. As she gets close to the statue's face, she's struck by a ray from one of Goldeneye's eyestalks!
Azul, which ray hits you? Choose and roll Defy Danger...
* Disintegrate with CON
* Charm with CHA
* Telekinesis with STR
[Vulture]
As Vulture makes his way to the treasure chest, he looks back to see Sorne (who had fallen, wracked with pain) transform from within. The very demon that Sorne consumed NOW consumes him! Sorne stands again, this time... as Corson the Demon.
Corson yells, "I know the code! Let me enter it!"
But Sapphire Heart, who had stood to the side and was taking in the scene, cuts in, "NO! He does not have your back." Then Sapphire Heart conjures a bolt of lightning that strikes Goldeneye in it's immense body, burning a savage hole in the moon-sized beholder.
Vulture quickly takes in the chest, and determines that there is indeed a trap. Activated by attempting the wrong code, it will detonate the chest and it's contents like a massive shrapnel grenade.
[Meliandre]
Indeed, there is a ghost of Sapphire Heart at the feast table! And, you've rolled 11 on your Discern Realities.
Choose three from the list below.
* What happened here recently?
* What is about to happen?
* What should I be on the lookout for?
* What here is useful or valuable to me?
* Who’s really in control here?
* What here is not what it appears to be?
Also, what item do you see on the table that's important to you?
[Haargarth]
DeleteAll this strength, yet Goldeneye is so far away. What good is this strength if he can't rip the tentacle stalks from its massive, unholy body?
[OOC]
Joe, seeing that distance has less meaning here...is Goldeneye close enough for Haargarth to get a swing at? Even if I have to time a stalk turning our way, I'd love to try and jump up on, so I can do damage directly...
[Azul Khadon]
ReplyDeletePillars of light, deadly blasts of arcane power, weave and plow great furrows into the walls and floors of the great chamber! Azul, tiny and fast, nimbly flits to and fro as Goldeneye cannot get a bead on her position!
Rumbling fill the ephemeral battleground as Goldeneye, full of rage and hate towards the foe he cannot hit, bring all of his stalks to bear on the Lark of Dawn Yet to Come, a great convergence of terrible power like a meteor strike!
The sheer energy produced by all of the combatants is not unlike that of a Star's formation!
The Lark of Dawn Yet to Come twists and dodges.
BUT...
[TECH]
Defy Danger using Dex (+1): A total of 7!
[OOC]
Since this is a weird space, I hope you dont mind if I really take some of this over the top in the fiction. Final boss, lets make it INSANE.
[Vulture]
ReplyDelete"Stay back Corson! I have no time for your games. If you want to be useful, place yourself between myself and the giant orb of death."
Thoughts flying from being in such a bleak situation, something must be done quickly. "You've been here many times before, Sapphire Heart, what is the code?! Time is of the essence!"
While I await her answer, I prepare my tools to disable the trap and open the chest.
[Tech]
Using adventurers gear for lock picking kit
[OOC] Sorry got behind again. I'm on my 30th consecutive hour awake so I'll try to post something useful tomorrow after I crash and burn.)
ReplyDelete[Haargarth]
ReplyDeleteYes, you are within reach of Goldeneye. You may hack 'n slash if you wish, or something else from your imagination. Whatever you post next, make it awesome. Those fellow players who are still with us will vote on your awesome your post is from 1 to 4... and the damage from your next hit will be multiplied by the average... so if everyone votes 4... you do QUAD DAMAGE!
[Vulture]
Sapphire Heart rushes to your side and quickly says, as she throws lightning bolts to the sky, "Last time there was a puzzle with a three-digit number, the winning value was 999! It might be true here too..."
[Azul]
As you weave and dodge, a blast of disintegration from Goldeneye hits the statue with the blank face. The neck cracks and the head plummets downward, nearly crushing Vulture and and Sapphire Heart. It shakes the ground as it lands, and the face cracks in half.
The illusion over the face breaks as well, revealing the portal contained within. Within the portal, you see a chamber that you recognize as somewhere within Covenant. The six of you are there, strapped to reclining laboratory beds, comatose.
A cloaked man wearing an upside down mask tends to these versions of you, and you see tubes drawing of energy from them. Their bodies are looking weaker and weaker every second.
Sapphire Heart proclaims, "That's the clue we've been looking for! That's the truth!"
Corson urges, "Don't be deceived, it's but a lie meant to distract you from your task."
OOC: You are presented with two options. One is the real truth, one is false. Instead of me, the DM, deciding, I have had another player - Brandon/Azul - decide. He knows what the truth is, and cannot reveal it to you.
But, I will reveal the answers that Azul gave to the Voight Kampff test taken at the start of the game. That may be an insight to what the truth might be...
1. It is a time of famine and scarcity. You are traveling from one town to another on a road that is almost never used. You spot a wounded halfling woman lying by the side of the road. No one else is nearby. While she calls out to you for help, you notice her wagon, laden with her possessions; food, water, luxuries. It is early evening, and if you stop to help her, you may lose precious daylight. Grabbing a few items would be easy and quick. What do you do?
ANSWER: I stop and survey the situation, asking her for information as her lack of companions is suspicious.
2. You work as a guard for a Wizards’ Tower. You come across evidence that your bosses’ magic is destroying the landscape and causing crops to wilt. You have the power of anonymity at this point, and no one knows you have this evidence. You...
a. Anonymously sell the evidence to a group of justice crusaders.
b. Return the evidence to your bosses, who are sure to promote you for this act.
c. Anonymously turn the evidence over to the wizards’ enemies who wish to discredit them. You take not compensation in this.
ANSWER: C
3. You make a minor promise to a friend. You are later requested/coerced/charged to do or say something that would act against that promise. You...
a. Keep my promise, no matter how small or minor.
b. I try not to make promises; I don't feel comfortable with them.
c. Depending on my whim, I may or may not go against that promise.
ANSWER: B
4. What's good for society is good for me.
a. More True than False
b. More False than True
c. Equally True and False / Doesn't Matter.
ANSWER: B
5. Your boss comes to you with a task that could earn you 1 million gold coins. This offer is 100% optional, and has no consequences whatsoever. She tells you that if she provides all necessary supplies, she would hire you to kill 20 people whom are complete strangers to you, and you don't know why she wants them dead. How would you respond to her?
ANSWER: Why do you want them dead? I do not murder.
[Haargarth]
ReplyDeleteWHAT DID THE FIVE HAARGATHS SAY TO THE BEHOLDER? SLAP!!!!
The threat of the giant beholder doesn't scare Mr. Colossal Haargarth. In fact, he finds it cute. Like a balloon. Ducking and dodging around its tentacles, Colossaargarth is going to attempt to wrap up Goldeneye, and bring it low. Low enough so that the clones can bash it, and for Colossagarth to bring his flail to bear against Goldeneye's central eye.
[OOC]
Can anyone say C-C-C-C-C-COMBO!!!!!
Better stat up that quad damage right now, because this won't be the first time I've slapped a bitch around! (PSA: Milwaukee Joe and grind4e or any of its players condone violence against women, in real life or fantasy. However, this player does heartily condone playfully patting all female canines in a firm and consistent manner while training or disciplining them).
[Haargarth]
ReplyDeleteRolling this up for you... 12! (Not boxcars, but still a GREAT roll.) You have narrative control, describe what happens!
However, this also happens. One of Goldeneye's rays strikes Sapphire Heart and she vanishes as she falls unconscious. Just as she has said before, every battle finds her somehow incapacitated to awaken again later in the next dungeon... IF you believe her story.
[Haargarth]
ReplyDeleteThe clones tear into Goldeneye, its aberrant armor cracking like a fresh lobster under the combined assault. Surely something must be corrupted about these things, as they only hit harder and scream in delight as the beholder's blood begins to spray outward all over them. Within moments two of the eye stalks fall limp and lifeless. All of that is over shadowed by the sound of thunder, as Colossagarth hammers down again and again on Goldeneye's central eye. The fury of the strikes reminds him of his days at the forge, the Beholder's cornea his iron ore. It doesn't take long for it to crack, and the room to shake and contort! Is this room even reality?! WE KNOW NOT!
[OOC]
For the chance to flatten a moon-sized beholder like a pancake? I'll gladly pay the #irontridents price.
OK CREW - TIME TO VOTE! SCALE OF 1 TO 4, WHERE 1 IS "SUX!" TO 4 IS "I'LL BE IN MY BUNK", WHAT DOES HAARGARTH RATE!!!
ReplyDelete[Vulture]
ReplyDelete"Perfect!" A sarcastic Vulture shouts, as Sapphire Heart gets blasted in the face by the behemoth beholder. "I hope the code doesn't change every time you come back, girl." He turns the heavy dials to align the numbers '999' and a deep breath leaves his lungs as he pulls the lock and opens the chest.
[OOC]
I will give the narrative a 2
[Azul Khadon]
ReplyDeleteThe Lark of Dawn Yet to Come balks at this new development! What is real and what is farce? The potential realities gnawing at her psyche, she breaks formation, jetting straight up and into the ephemeral ether from which Goldeneye has descended.
The small, streaking bird peels away, its flesh and feathers shedding as the form of a woman tears free, burning in the thin atmosphere like an ascending comet.
She screams: "CHOOSE A PATH, MINE BRETHREN! CHOOSE, AND THE MOTHER UNWILLING SHALL SEE IT THROUGH TO THE END!"
She reaches the apex of her ascent, weightless and alone, drifting high above the carnage below. She feels the cold vacuum on her bare form.
The sheer mass, the gravity, of Goldeneye pulls. Allowing herself to be embraced by its grip, Azul Khadon falls back to the precarious plane of battle. Orienting herself for aerodynamics, she slices through the misty atmosphere, pulled towards the center of the colossal beholder.
Streaking downward, she ignites in atmosphere, a falling star of determination ready to embrace her fate, and the choice made by her fellow Sin-Eaters.
A flash like lightning in the misty clouds, and out slices the 7 horned Great Southron Goat! A streak of lightning in and of itself, thunder crashes as the sound barrier is broken by the falling bullet that is the MOTHER UNWILLING.
Her strike should remain true, penetrating the thick hide of the great Goldeneye in the path of her descending blow!
[Tech]
Shapeshift: 2d6+2=5! Hold 1 in addition to whatever the DM says!
(Also I guess?) Hack and Slash: 2d6=7, damage 3?
[OOC]
Im gonna give Haargarth a 3, bc I know he can do better than that!
Really, do better? Look, I KNOW what you guys want me to do, but I am not prison raping a beholder! Not until I at least knock some of its teeth out first
DeleteFor a smooth entry. I get it. Good thinking Haargarth!
DeleteSo...I give myself a very meta gaming 4. That averages the vote out to three. Let's deal some Colossagarth damage already!
ReplyDeleteHaargarth slices a great opening into the beholder known as Goldeneye (30 points damage!!!), and it roars in anger and pain as it breathes(?) its last. The cleave exposes the interior of the creature and within is a dyson's sphere of a multitude of worlds. This includes the world of this dungeon. This tower you are in, and the swampy exterior... it's all a world inside the Goldeneye's dyson sphere.
ReplyDeleteSo the destruction of Goldeneye is the destruction of the tower as well, the damage reverberates through the walls of the chamber you're in. A great earthquake rocks the foundations at your feet, and you barely manage to keep standing.
The other statue crumbles from the quake, crushing Corson as it falls. Now indeed, the two choices are before you - suicide by the barbed iron gate, or through the portal to the place where the Dominion is experimenting on you, stealing your essence while you sleep and dream this madness?
But, what if the vision of the portal is meant to keep you from your mission?
You must choose, now, individually. You have but seconds before this world is fully destroyed. After you have chosen (suicide, or the portal), the truth will be revealed (see above about how the truth was determined).
GOOD LUCK.
OOC: Sorry for the delay on this post. The reasons are personal and I don't want to go into them on a blog. Thank you for sticking with me, and even pinging me with a "hey, where's the post? Is everythign ok?". I really appreciate it!
Suicide is painless. Haargarth takes the time to snatch up each of his clones, impale them on the barbed gate, followed by his gigantic head, hammering it all home. He will not let the demon inside himself escape this doom!
ReplyDeleteOOC: Azul, would you reveal what the truth is on Thursday? That should be enough time for everyone to post, I would think. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteOOC: You got it!
DeleteOOC: Also, I will wait to post my own choice until then.
Delete[Vulture]
ReplyDelete"Is this how I am meant to die? No. There is another way." Walking to the portal, with his arms outstretched, Vulture exhales and enters the portal, allowing the answers to engulf him.
[OOC]
I had a blast playing! Maybe one day we can have another game when things slow down
Thank you! Yes, when I do run something in the future, I will make sure I'm in a good place to support it better for DM involvement and pacing.
DeleteMeliandre tries to make sense of it all. Sapphire Heart's sudden death, the beholder, the gate, the strange visions, everything is so overwhelming to her as the tower crumbles around them.
ReplyDeleteShe stares between her choices. Either way death almost certainly awaits. But... Sapphire Heart had been so sure. She runs to the portal and closes her eyes as she leaps through.
[OOC]
Sorry I've been so absent. It's nothing wrong with the game or you, I've just been having difficulties lately with keeping up with anything or braining. >_< Mental fogginess, high blood pressure, depression flare-up, it's been a wreck and totally all me and not you. Sorry. >_<
No worries, I've been even more so. But, I'm glad you got in a post before the end game! :)
Delete[Azul Khadon]
ReplyDeleteThe force of the broken Goldeneye is such: a natural disaster, the likes of which the Mother Unwilling had never thought possible. The collapse of an anti-grav field to support a creature the size and mass of a small moon, combined with the raw destructive power released from the might blows delivered by Haargarth creates a gravity sink: a small, rapidly evaporating *Black Hole* now threatens to swallow the Tower along with the surviving Sin-Eaters.
The immense gravity warps and distorts the flow of time, and Azul finds herself being sucked past the Event Horizen, watching in horror as Haargarth slowly impales himself on the barbed gate; his death is instant yet never-ending.
The other Sin-Eaters are naught to be found, breaking formation and scattering into the portal.
*The Portal*
Struggling endlessly as the black hole begins to stretch and crush her, she feels her body begin to break, crushed and shattered endlessly as she is sucked to her doom.
There is a pull, and a strange consciousness emerging as she feels her death near, and the *Demon* within her awakens. Ravana. _I can only be killed by Man_.
The demon rakshasha's power pierces the crushing black, peeling it like velvet from a pale corpse. Her own corpse.
Striding, gliding endlessly through the black, the demon carries her to the Portal like some perversion of Charon. Back to life, back to reality.
The crushing nothing of the Black Hole lifts, and she finds herself breathing sweet air, inhaling and becoming intoxicated by the life re-introduced to her like some narcotic to which she was never, but always, addicted.
She joins her brethren, shedding a tear for poor Haargarth, and awaits what lies beyond the veil...
[OOC]
Haargarth: You have chosen..poorly.
It was all an elaborate lie devised by Dominion.
[OOC]
ReplyDeleteA clever ruse indeed!
Joe, I'm curious...I put in a combination for the chest, 666, was it correct?
The combo of 666 would have worked. In fact, more than one combination would have worked. The contents of the chest would be different depending on which combo was invoked - a multi-dimensional space.
DeleteBecause I once lost a key game at the Tower of the Ascendants, the combos of 333, 666, 999 are all valid. What would they have won you? You will never know.
Thank you everyone for playing in Purge of the Sin-Eaters. I really enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteAs for what happens next in this plot, that is up to you. I imagine that those who left via the portal start to awaken in an examining room, and get the jump on those that are unaware their subjects are awake.
In another version, I imagine that the very people who have you captive are YOU from a different reincarnation timeline, or some such bizarre thing.
But what really happens is up to you, as this is where the game ends.
Good gaming,
MilwaukeeJoe